23 Inspiring Quotes about Design
1. All you end up doing is designing something that makes everyone unhappy.
— Leisa Reichelt
2. Design is as much an act of spacing as an act of marking.
— Ellen Lupton
3. The design process, at its best, integrates the aspirations of art, science, and culture.
— Jeff Smith
4. Good design is a lot like clear thinking made visual.
— Edward Tufte
5. Design is intelligence made visible.
— Alina Wheeler
6. Math is easy; design is hard.
— Jeffrey Veen
7. Design is the conscious effort to impose a meaningful order.
— Victor Papanek
8. Design trends online change more often than the wind, and slightly less often than my socks.
— Suleiman Leadbitter
9. Content precedes design. Design in the absence of content is not design, it’s decoration.
— Jeffrey Zeldman
10. People think that design is styling. Design is not style. It’s not about giving shape to the shell and not giving a damn about the guts. Good design is a renaissance attitude that combines technology, cognitive science, human need, and beauty to produce something that the world didn’t know it was missing.
— Paola Antonelli
11. Design is an opportunity to continue telling the story, not just to sum everything up.
— Tate Linden
12. Design is not the narrow application of formal skills, it is a way of thinking.
— Chris Pullman
13. Designers are meant to be loved, not to be understood.
— Fabien Barral
14. Design is about making things good (and then better) and right (and fantastic) for the people who use and encounter them.
— Matt Beale
15. Design is the fundamental soul of a human-made creation that ends up expressing itself in successive outer layers of the product or service.
— Steve Jobs
16. I’m convinced that without bad design, the world would be a far less stimulating place; we would have nothing to marvel over and nothing to be nostalgic about.
— Carrie Phillips
17. Behavioral design is all about feeling in control. Includes: usability, understanding, but also the feel.
— Don Norman
18. Good design must be defined by appropriateness to audience and goals, and by its effectiveness, not by its adherence to Swiss design or the number of awards it wins.
— Drew Davies
19. Being a famous designer is like being a famous dentist.
— Noreen Morioka
20. Design creates culture. Culture shapes values. Values determine the future.
— Robert L. Peters
21. It’s art if can’t be explained.
It’s fashion if no one asks for an explanation.
It’s design if it doesn’t need explanation.
— Wouter Stokkel
22. You can’t do better design with a computer, but you can speed up your work enormously.
— Wim Crouwel
23. I find modernist design boring, but it so much faster!
— Christine Suewon Lee